Noongar Language Translation / Language Activity Request Form
Information for applicants
Yanga (thank you) for enquiring about Noongar language and its use. The Noongar Boodjar Language Centre values and supports the use of Noongar language and seeks to work with applicants to ensure that it is used in a suitable cultural context and for an appropriate purpose.
The purpose of the Noongar Language Centre is to enhance the long-term wellbeing of the Noongar community by:
• Fostering the use of Noongar on regular or daily basis within the Noongar community; and
• Raising the profile and status of the Noongar community through increased use of Noongar in schools, the wider community, on signage, in public venues and at public gatherings.
Please note that Noongar language translations are provided under our ‘fee for service’ – therefore there is a charge involved. Please fill out the request form below, and a quote will be forwarded to you.
The process of gaining permission to use a Noongar word or phrase for public use is as follows:
• Complete a Noongar language translation/usage request form. You can fill in the form below, download a copy here, or pick one up from the office. On completion, email the form to email@example.com or return it to the Noongar Boodjar office.
• Following a preliminary assessment by staff from the language centre, applicants will be notified of the process, time frame and costs involved to respond to the request.
• On completion of the request, it will be tabled at a meeting of Noongar Boodjar staff which will meet on a fortnightly basis, for review.
• Subject to the nature of the request, Noongar Boodjar may refer it on the appropriate clan for advice.
• A letter will be forwarded on to the applicant to inform them of the Noongar Boodjar decision. This decision of Noongar Boodjar is final.
• If a license agreement is required, negotiations between Noongar Boodjar and the applicant will commence once the decision has been communicated.
It should be noted that this process may take up to a month.
Applicants should note that subject of complexity of their request, this service may be provided on a fee for service basis. On receipt of an application, staff from Noongar Boodjar will conduct a preliminary assessment of the request and subsequently, advise the applicant of the process.
Further, a license (MOU) agreement may apply if the request is being used for commercial or profitable purposes.
Enquiries can be directed to the Noongar Boodjar Language Centre on 9350 5026 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org